Sony has officially unveiled the next-generation PS5 VR controllers. The company promised to deliver an all-new immersive experience in its upcoming headset and the device seems to promise just that. For starters, the controller features finger touch detection, a tracking ring for the headset, haptic feedback and haptic triggers.
Sony shared new PS5 VR details on the PlayStation Blog alongside a series of products shots. The company claims the new “orb” design allows users to hold the controller naturally while playing with a high degree of freedom. Users aren’t constrained by how they hold the controller or how they move their hands in the orb allowing developers to create unique gameplay experiences.
The inspiration for the next-generation PlayStation VR controllers comes from years of learning and testing across the company’s entire range of hardware. Sony says they have tested the device across multiple demographics of users with all hand sizes.
SIE’s Product, Engineering, and Design teams have collaborated to build our new VR controller from the ground up with a goal of making a huge leap from current-gen VR gaming. We’re thrilled with the controller we developed, but what matters now is how game creators will take advantage of the features to design the next generation of VR experiences. Prototypes of our new VR controller will be in the hands of the development community soon, and we can’t wait to see what ideas they come up with and how the controller helps bring their imagination to life!
PS5 VR Controller Features
The official feature list includes:
● Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.
● Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.
● Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.
● Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.
● Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game
Sony says that the prototypes are being seeded out to developers already so game makers can start testing out the device. We already know that developers are working on PS5 VR games so the addition of the new controller means new tailor-made experiences are on our way.
Source: PlayStation Blog