While Death Stranding won’t have a dedicated multiplayer mode when it launches on PS4, we have had some sort of hint that the game’s online capabilities will be hidden around the world to a certain extent.
Players won’t play directly with other players in the Death Stranding multiplayer but there will be various ways in which you can make your presence felt throughout other player’s games.
Take a look at some of the ways you will be playing the Death Stranding multiplayer;
- PS4 Players can leave behind footsteps for other players to follow around
- The more you interact with the world the more it will change for other players. You can construct buildings and objects which may appear in other player’s worlds.
- There is an in-game mailing system that shows your bonding levels between players
- You can summon players during boss fights. This “other player” can throw items at Sam to aid him to fight the boss but cannot deal damage to the boss. This is unconfirmed, however.
- You can build bridges by yourself or work with other players to built them. The player with the most contribution to construction will have their name on the bridge.
- If you travel down the same path as other players the grass will slowly flatten and turn into a road which will be easier to drive on.
- Hideo Kojima states that these paths can be made and even turned into highways to make deliveries by truck.
- Players can leave behind warning symbols alerting other players of rough environments.
- Structures that are still in construction will be labelled as such in the world as shown during the demo. You can leave supplies behind at the location to contribute to building the structure.
- Green footsteps are those of other players
- In the demo, a second ladder had been placed by another player that can be used.
- There is a “like” system that players use to connect with one another. You can like objects left behind by others.
- Shoes are important in the game, they can break. You can leave other players a spare set of shoes to help them.
- Players can leave things behind, whether they forgot to pick it up or just discarded they will show up for other players. They can also age over time if they don’t get picked up. Can be repaired by players using tools.
- You can junk items and other players will see that also.
- You can make lockers that other players can use. Can be used to share items or privately.
- If a route is used frequently it’ll make a path
- Rain damages packages, players can use shelter that other players made for protection
- Can customize music and players will hear it and vice versa.
- Can level up certain structures plays leave behind.
- Left behind stones are an indication that a player has rested there. You can rest there also, from the demo he implies that something will happen if enough resting in used in the spot.
- Mules are enemy NPC that attempt to steal cargo, they steal cargo from other players around the world. In the demo, Hideo Kojima takes a more stealth approach by leaving some of his cargo behind and riding the hoverboard. The cargo was left behind because Mule can detect players easier if they hold it.
- Ping system lets you see all the cargo the Mules have stolen. All the items are taken from other Sams in the world.
- Can throw cargo at Mules but they become damaged. Recommends not to use your own cargo.
- Charge stations can be left behind for players to charge their equipment
- Can tag objects left behind by players so they show up better for others
- You can leave motorcycles behind for other players
- In the demo, there is a scene that music begins playing as the player traverses across the rough hill. Hideo Kojima states that there are millions of other people who will be doing the same thing and experiencing the same thing. This can only be achieved when connected, although he does say you can skip out on these experiences if you decide to take a vehicle all the way to your destination.
- At the distribution centre, you can see what other players have made.
- Hideo Kojima ends his first demo being thankful for his journey and all the connection he has made along with it. This no doubt played a crucial part in Death Stranding development.
- The concept behind the game is connections and you have been going through that. We haven’t been going through third parties, and have been connecting directly with these individuals.
So there you have it. A breakdown of the possible PS4 multiplayer features. Death Stranding releases only on PS4 on 8 November 2019. Take a look at the latest trailer below;
[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7wi7LX9F40″ width=”900″]