Destiny 2 is currently in its last season of content before the anticipated Lightfall expansion releases in 2023. While we already know what sort of content we can expect from Destiny 2: Lightfall, a new leak has detailed some of the post-launch content as well as the future plans for the series. The leak comes from an insider who is reportedly close to the development team at Bungie. They detailed their knowledge of the franchise as well as some future plans in the series related to Sony’s acquisition of Bungie.
Be wary. This is a leak so take it with a huge pinch of salt. While this is a more-detailed leak compared to what I have seen before, it might just end up being another fan theory.
Some notes on the Lightfall story
- Xivu and the worm gods are the first to arrive at the city. They drain and weaken the traveller and cause us to scatter.
- We go with Osiris to Neptune out of desperation after this.
- Cloudstriders destroy a pyramid scale as we arrive, and tormenter spawns and kills elder Cloudstrider Cumulus
- Cloudstriders are apparently rather heartless
- We learn strand because of the corruption of the traveller after Xivu tainted it. strand isn’t super important to the story
- Calus is already at Neomuna searching for the veil as of season 19
- The veil is a “key” to the traveller, allowing access to a dimension of pure light in which the witness is trapped in. This is why his influence is very weak currently.
- The “dimension” of pure light is the antithesis of the black garden, likely will be a patrol zone in the final shape. Referred to as “origin point”
- Xivu wants to kill the Traveler but the Witness demands she doesn’t. Witness revives Nezarec and sends him to kill her.
- Witness’s 3 active disciples basically end up killing each other off. Nezarec “dies” after killing Xivu and ramming her pyramid ship into the Traveler under the Witness’s orders
- Lightfall expansion ends with the Witness being freed, delivering a monologue while the darkness entities emerge from pyramids around the system due to his increasing influence (this is one of the few things I’ve actually seen and it’s incredible) think dark souls 3 intro cutscene with new disciples rising from tombs
- The Witness takes over Mars (self note: again?) but we don’t go back in Lightfall
- Raid takes place in the zone where the pyramid and traveller intersect, inspired by 60’s psychedelia visually. A prominent mechanic is going back in time to the collapse to change history and weaken a revived Nezarec. The first boss is a massive tormenter.
- 2 exotic quests, 1 normal quest for a strand machinegun, and a “community” exotic quest that I’m not sure of the details on. Something new.
- Raid exotic is a strand bow that temporarily creates grapple points like in the campaign
- 2 strikes, 1 Neomuna, 1 in the last city
- Reprised Io strikes coming to season 21
- Battleground Psiops added to the vanguard playlist
- Inverted spire, exodus crash, and arms dealer receive increased enemy density and new mechanics.
- No new activity like Wellspring but apparently the patrol will have a lot to do and will have activities built-in
Post-Lightfall Season Pass
- Season 21 involves The Fanatic, western themed. Garden or Last Wish may receive a refresh this season. New crucible game mode as well involving decreased TTK and longer ability recharges
- Season 22 adds Wrath of the Machine raid, all I know about it
- The Final Shape’s destination may be the black garden. They’re currently on lockdown when it comes to it. I know it’s involved somehow.
- Certain unused zones of older patrols will be removed to save space, such as a decent chunk of the EDZ
- Flashpoint and patrol overhaul coming soon
- Bungie is interested in upping the “general difficulty” of destiny
- Bungie has been debating on the old tower coming back or a brand new social space to debut in game LFG in, pretty much locked in for season 22 alongside wrath of the machine
- The Final Shape’s subclass has a whole new physics system dedicated to it and will “fuck everything up in a really cool way”
- Bungie badly wants to include mars, the black garden, and Titan in more content but just isn’t sure where it would fit right now. The black garden may fit in final shape but apparently, they’re concerned about using an old area in an expansion
- The veil was something planned since early Destiny 1 days
- Lance Reddick had trouble delivering lines for season 20 without crying
- The seasonal model is not going away anytime soon
- Bungie wants to toy with more heavily seasonal themes like plunder, movies like the good the bad and the ugly, blade runner, and apocalypse now being named as inspirations for future seasons
What’s happening at Bungie
- Bungie is planning on taking a “year break” after the final shape’s final season to work on their dev tools. After this, they want to release “anthology expansions” for a few years that aren’t connected to any big overarching story before they get into a new saga
- Luke smith is in much better health after stepping away as game director
- They were extremely proud of the leviathan and seraph station mini patrols and want to do it again
- (Self-note about #44: Bungie accidentally spoiled a future mission where we need to repair an elevator on a space station, they deleted the posts. If we get a patrol zone on a space station during this season, then this leak will turn out to be real)
- Feelings about the destiny community are at an all-time negative, especially noticeable the closer you are to the PR teams.
- Bungie is optimistic about releasing new IPs but the majority of company focus is still going to be on destiny for the long term as it’s bringing in way more money than most people realize
- Bungie apparently now sees $60 “box product” games as something they’re not interested in, almost beneath them
- Both Sony and Bungie are interested in the franchise “becoming the new Star Wars”