Polish indie studio Covenant announced a new dark fantasy strategy game called Gord. The studio was founded by Stan Just last year, a former CD Projekt Red and 11-but Studios producer who worked on both The Witcher 3 and its AR mobile game The Witcher: Monster Slayer.
Gord is set to release on Steam sometime in 2022 and features a dark fantasy theme where players explore forbidden lands while trying to keep their small village thriving during some deadly scenarios. It is part city-builder part RPG as players explore the wastelands, gather items, fight off deadly creatures while at the same time completing side quests for their settlement.
On paper, Gord sounds interesting. The game features a Sanity and Burden system that affects every aspect of your settler’s lives including illness, hunger and death. This system then plays into the game’s psychological state whereas the player needs to keep tabs on the mental health state of the character and the settlement.
Gord is currently in development for PC and might release on consoles if it does well enough. You can wishlist the game on Steam today. The official description reads:
- Adventure strategy in a dark fantasy setting – Lead the people of the Tribe of the Dawn as they venture deep into forbidden lands and ensure the survival of your populace in a grim fantasy world inspired by Slavic folklore.
- A unique city-builder with survival elements – Grow your gord from a humble settlement to a formidable fortress while your population is constantly at risk from enemy tribes, gruesome monsters, and mysterious powers that lurk in the surrounding woods.
- AI-driven quest system to ensure lots of variety – Side quests and random encounters will send you off into the wilderness to hunt down legendary creatures, uncover secrets about the Ancients, or vanquish a nasty scourge.
- Custom scenarios with procedural level generation – Choose from a variety of primary objectives, select the level size, the intensity of raids, the environment you’ll play in, the types of enemies you’ll face, starting resources, and even the severity of weather.
- Impactful Sanity and Burden systems – Every aspect of your settlers’ lives – from illness and hunger to the death of their kin – can impact your villagers’ psychological state.
- Unleash powerful Incantations – Spells vary in nature – some are offensive while others are defensive – but they all help to tip the battlefield in your favor.
- Uncover the world’s mysteries in The Chronicle – Pages torn from The Chronicle will be scattered throughout the game’s landscapes, giving dedicated players an additional challenge of discovering lore that explains the Gord universe.