Apple’s iOS 16 beta is now fully underway. The company released the first developer beta last night right after the WWDC showcase event. While there is a public beta arriving next month, there’s nothing stopping you from downloading the developer beta and enjoying the new iOS 16 software on your iPhone.
Keep in mind that the developer beta for iOS 16 will be around for a few months now as Apple irons out the issues ahead of the official launch in September. So if you’re ready to see the software grow and stabilize, this is the best way to do it. You also need to remember that the public beta which is scheduled to launch next month will always be one build behind the developer version. So if you want the latest test build, stick to the developer beta.
READ MORE Apple Announces iOS 16, WatchOS 9, M2 MacBooks More
It goes without saying that installing iOS 16 on your iPhone does come with a few risks. The software is in testing so some things might not work properly. While the experience is a lot more stable these days, some apps might crash and you might have some problems doing daily tasks on your device if these tasks have not been optimised for iOS 16. However, if you’re reading this, you already know the risks.
Installing the iOS 16 beta on your iPhone is simple and easy. All you need to do is own a supported device, install the profile and download the software. The same goes for the iPadOS 16 and WatchOS 9 releases. Let’s start with iOS 16 and iPadOS 16. The following devices support the newest operating system:
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)
- iPad Pro (all models)
- iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
- iPad (5th generation and later)
- iPad mini (5th generation and later)
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch Series 7
If your device is listed above, follow the next steps to install iOS 16.
- Make a backup of your device either manually through iTunes or through iCloud
- Head on over to Beta Profiles and click on the “install profile” button on the beta software you want to install
- Allow the profile to be added to your device
- Restart the device either by turning it off or clicking “Restart Now” when prompted
- After reboot, head to Settings – General – Software Update and download and install iOS 16
- For Apple Watch – Open the Watch App then head to General – Software Update and download and install iOS 16
In order to remove the iOS 16 beta, you’ll need to delete the profile installed on the device. Head over to Settings – General – VPN & Device Management and delete the iOS 16 Beta Software Profile. After reboot, you will now be able to redownload the latest iOS 15 build and revert your device back to normal.