There hasn’t been a lot of buzz around THQ’s gaming event today but the publisher is hosting its Digital Showcase event at 21:00 CAT/ 12:00 PDT / 9 pm CEST. The show marks the second THQ digital showcase event and is hosted by Elle Osili-Wood and Richard Kiess. However, it seems that the first big announcement from the reveal has leaked online in the form of a new Alone in The Dark game set in the 1920s.
This is not the first time we have heard about a new Alone in The Dark game. Insiders started teasing news about the game’s reveal last week already but this time we actually have screenshots, the box art and gameplay details to share.
The leak comes from a retailer called Smartoys who accidently uploaded the listing for the new Alone in The Dark game. I suspect this listing was only meant to go live this evening after the game’s official reveal. The listing is accompanied by in-game screenshots, game details and the keyart.
The new Alone in The Dark game is set in a place called Derceto’s Mansion and aims to be a love letter to the 90s classic horror. The game’s setting is brought to life through a unique atmosphere that seems to be based on a fictional New Orleans city. Players take on the role of Edward Carnby and he joins Emily Hartwood in the search for her uncle who has gone missing, The search takes them to a psychiatric asylum where the dead have come back to life and all sorts of other freakish monsters await. The official game description (translated by Google so forgive the grammar) read:
Psychological horror and Southern Gothic meet in this revisit of the survival-horror classic Alone in the Dark This love letter to the cult game of the 90s will make you live a story as sinister as memorable through the eyes of one of the two protagonists. As Edward Carnby or Emily Hartwood, explore the various environments, fight monsters, solve puzzles and discover the terrible truth about Derceto’s mansion… In the deep south of the United States during the 1920s, Emily Hartwood’s uncle disappeared.
Accompanied by private detective Edward Carnby, she goes in search of him in the mansion of Derceto, a psychiatric asylum where prowls… Something. You will meet strange occupiers, nightmarish kingdoms, dangerous monsters, and lift the veil on an evil conspiracy. At the confluence between reality, mystery and madness, the adventure that awaits you may undermine your certainties. Who are you going to trust, what are you going to believe and what will you do next?
- Explore Derceto’s mansion in this revisit of Alone in the Dark, a true love letter to the 90s horror classic.
- Go back to the roots of psychological horror and experience an atmospheric adventure worthy of the game that founded the genre.
- Immerse yourself in a world punctuated by sounds that will give you goosebumps against a backdrop of doom jazz as memorable as it is hypnotic.
- Feel the adrenaline as you desperately try to survive a world where reality is beginning to crumble, evil lurks in every shadow, and ammunition is scarce.
- Experience this nightmare from the perspective of Emily Hartwood or Edward Carnby and unearth the dark secrets of a Gothic mansion.
- Go beyond imagination through a complex psychological story written by cult screenwriter Mikael Hedberg, author of SOMA and Amnesia.
At the moment, the new Alone in The Dark game is set to launch on PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC. The listing doesn’t mention anything about PS4 and Xbox One. The game is scheduled to launch sometime in 2023. At the moment, the current placeholder date is 31 December 2023. Expect the full reveal later today during the THQ Digital Showcase. You can tune into the event at 21:00 South African time here.