A new Splinter Cell game has been rumoured for a long time and Ubisoft’s CEO, Yves Guillemot, even said last month that the franchise isn’t dead. Sam Fisher’s voice actor also hinted that a new game in the franchise is in development and Splinter Cell even appeared in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Now, the creative director of The Division 2, Julian Gerighty, has taken to Twitter to openly say he is working on a new Splinter Cell game.
Mr Gerighty tweeted that he is working on a new game in the franchise and mentioned other Ubisoft directors Dan Hay and Roman Campos Oriola. He even reportedly changed his profile image to that of Sam Fisher on Twitter before changing it back an hour later. Check out the tweet below.
Working on the next #SplinterCell with @danhaynow and @romcamor in #Lyon.
Can’t wait for #E3.
Crossover with #TheCrew2 with @_fergus_ 🙂
Only missing @GhostRecon and @Rainbow6Game – but on their way.#FarCry#ForHonor #TheDivision2 #RainbowSixSiege #GhostRecon pic.twitter.com/oiwMPTny9Y
— Julian Gerighty (@jgerighty) May 14, 2019
The tweet has not been deleted at the time of writing (06:20 SA time) and also mentions E3, which would be the perfect time to announce a new game in the franchise. For those who have been living under a rock, Ubisoft recently announced Ghost Recon Breakpoint, so my guess is they will have a big E3 announcement about Splinter Cell this year.
However, Mr Gerighty is apparently a bit of a jokester and it could be a prank of sorts (not a very funny one for Splinter Cell fans). A Ubisoft rep did answer PC Gamer‘s enquiry about all this and said that:
Honestly, if this was a joke he would have probably removed the tweet by now. Further, it could just mean that Ubisoft doesn’t want to officially announce the game ahead of E3, which would make sense.
What would you like to see from a new Splinter Cell game? Let us know in the comment section below.