Bioshock developer Cloud Chamber is hiring for a new position at the studio but the job listing gives us more insight into the future of the Bioshock series. The job listing specifically requests for a senior writer who can assist in crafting primary and secondary mission content and has the ability to weave impactful, character-driven stories in an open-world setting.
Other job openings include an AI programmer, UI/UX designer and a senior technical designer but the senior writer posting is the one interesting listing that could reveal more information about the upcoming game.
The posting reads:
Cloud Chamber is looking for a Senior Writer to join our talented Narrative team to bring the world of BioShock to life once again. Under the supervision of the Lead Writer, and collaborating closely with the Narrative and Design teams, our Senior Writer will craft memorable narrative arcs, write dialogue, and breathe life into our characters. Experience in writing for games, with a particular aptitude for managing the nuances of interactive storytelling, would be ideal for this role. We’re hoping to find someone who can weave impactful, character-driven stories in an open world setting.
- Assist in the creation and execution of the core story including the writing of dialogue and other narrative elements as directed.
- Brainstorm primary and secondary mission content with design. Represent the narrative department and its pillars during those conversations.
- Own and drive specific areas of narrative content. Create and maintain all related documentation.
- Collaborate with the design team in both the design and implementation of narrative content/briefs using game tools.
- Represent the game’s narrative vision to other departments during brainstorm sessions, reviews, and other meetings as necessary.
- Provide meaningful and valid feedback to the narrative team and design during play sessions.
The other listings also touch on possible game details including the AI programmer that details an “urban crowd system” and “the systemic tribal ecology of a sometimes hostile AI”.
There are a handful of important things to pay attention to from the above. The focus on the open-world setting being one of them. While previous Bioshock games featured exploration hubs, the next game sounds as if it could be a fully-fledged sandbox open-world game. Other tidbits include intertwined story arcs which are nothing new in the Bioshock game.
Keep in mind that developers hire and change things all the time especially given that the new Bioshock game has not been in development for that long now. At the time, we don’t know where the game is going to be set but we do know it won’t take place in the sky or under the sea. A handful of original Bioshock developers including Scott Sinclair are attached to the project but it will be a while before we see more. The game is in development.