Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation VR2, it’s PS5 virtual reality device, will launch on 22 February 2023 at a hefty price point of $549.99. The PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station, designed for the PS VR2 Sense controller, will also launch the same day. Sony also detailed how much each device will cost. Pre-orders for the headset, games and Sense controller will arrive later this month.
The PlayStation VR2 will launch at $549.99 but local pricing for South Africa has yet to be announced, though we should have confirmation soon. Meanwhile, players in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg will initially be able to pre-order the headset solely through PlayStation’s online store. Pre-orders will begin on 15 November.
MORE PLAYSTATION VR2 – Sony Announces 11 New PlayStation VR2 Games Ahead of Feb 2023 Launch
Below you’ll find the details for each device and how much it will cost depending on your country:
- PlayStation VR2
- $549.99 / €599.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
- Includes PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers and stereo headphones
- PlayStation VR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain bundle
- $599.99 / €649.99 / £569.99 / ¥79,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
- Includes PlayStation Store voucher code for Horizon Call of the Mountain, PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers, and stereo headphones
- PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station
- $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 / ¥5,480 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
- Players can charge the PS VR2 Sense controller through a simple click-in design, without having to connect to a PS5 console – freeing up the console’s USB ports.
PlayStation provided a description of the experience on offer for players eager to get their hands on PlayStation VR2, stating:
“Additionally, with enhanced headset-based controller tracking and high fidelity visuals in 4000 x 2040 HDR video format (2000 x 2040 per eye), PS VR2 adds a true next-gen gaming experience for players to enjoy. We’ve created the PS VR2 headset with comfort in mind, in a slightly slimmer and lighter design compared to our previous headset. We’ve also included an integrated vent for extra air flow, and a lens adjustment dial for a more customized feel. We hope players will enjoy this new design.”
PlayStation VR2 Specifications
|Panel resolution||2000 x 2040 per eye|
|Panel refresh rate||90Hz, 120Hz|
|Field of View||Approx. 110 degrees|
|Sensors||・Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)・Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor|
|Cameras||・4 cameras for headset and controller tracking・IR camera for eye tracking per eye|
|Feedback||Vibration on headset|
|Communication with PS5||USB Type-C®|
|Audio||・Input: Built-in microphone・Output: Stereo headphone jack|
PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller Specifications
|Buttons||[Right]PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button[Left]PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button|
|Sensing/ Tracking||Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking|
|Feedback ||Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)|
|Port||USB Type-C® port|
|Battery||Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery|
PlayStation VR2 officially launches on 22 February 2023 at $549.99. Stay tuned for more information on local pricing and pre-order options.
Source: PlayStation Blog