There have been a few rumours swirling this week about the PS5 and its release date, pricing and other information. The leaks first appeared on 4Chan and it was hard to believe any of them (being 4Chan and all). However, one of the so-called “leaks” just came true today so it could prove the rest of them to follow suit.
RELATED: PS5 RPG Godfall Gets Another Very Brief Gameplay Video
The original report claimed that Sony would change its slogan from “it’s for the players” to “it’s time to play” in preparation for the PS5 reveal. This morning Sony’s Twitter accounts did just that which shed some light on the rest of the leaked information including the reveal date, pricing and even the exclusive lineup of games. Remember, this is still all unconfirmed but if the insider predicted the slogan change down to its spelling, then we could have some credible leaks on our hands.
The original report detailed Sony’s plans for the PS5 which you can see down below. Some of it is questionable like the mention of Sony attending E3 2020 which we know is no longer the case since the company pulled out last week.
- More major PlayStation 5 news will be unveiled at a PlayStation Meeting event for the press/media on February 5, 2020
- PlayStation Meeting will be held at the Sony Hall in NYC (Sony Hall is an indoor venue in which Sony sponsors and supplies tech inside the theatre)
- The console design, controller, UI/home screen, certain features, console specs, talk from third parties/indie publishers, as well as announcements for PS5 exclusives will be shown.
- Buzz words for the console’s features include “little to no load times”, “blazing fast downloads”, “immersive controls”, “modular installs for games, download whatever”, “disc drive included”, and “download the games, or stream the games as an option” .
- PlayStation Now plays a vital role. You can either access games through a subscription fee or own the games outright. Sony (for a limited time) will bundle a 3-month PS Now subscription with the PS5 in select regions in an effort to promote the service to many new owners
- Remote Play is a big feature too, allowing to play your PS5 games on your smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop. Play those game anywhere, so long there’s a Wi-Fi or cellular connection. The console will act as the database for those games to be streamed wherever
- The PlayStation app on mobile gets updated for PS5, adding a new design and other features to enhance your PS5 experience
- Backwards compatibility with all PS4 games is also a big feature. Through a new transferring features, users will easily transfer their PS4 games to the PS5 if those games are downloaded. Save data/backups for PS4 games will also be transferable
- Backwards compatibility is such a major feature, that games from all 5 PlayStation platforms (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3 and PS4), will be compatible on PS5, making it an “ultimate PlayStation console”, putting an emphasis on past and present gaming. More details about backwards compatibility will be discussed at a later date, especially at E3
- DualShock 4 controllers, PSVR, and other PS4 accessories will be forwards compatible on the console as well, making it easy for existing PS4 to transition to the PS5 as well
- Gran Turismo 7, MLB The Show 21, Demon Souls Remastered, Godfall and Legendz (new IP from SIE Santa Monica Studio) are some of the launch titles for the console
- Other games are teased, such as a new Horizon game, new Spider-Man from Insomniac, new Crash Bandicoot game, new sci-fi IP from Naughty Dog, new IPs from SIE Japan and London Studio, Final Fantasy 16 and a new Resident Evil title
- PS5 will launch worldwide in October 2020. Priced at $499 USD / £449 UK / €449 EU / ¥54,999 JP
- Launching in one model only. No “pro” model at launch
- Specs to be almost on par with Xbox Series X (which will be $100 more), and more powerful than Xbox Lockhart (a console that’s $100 less with 4TFlops of computing power compared to the PS5’s 10TFlops)
- Press/media will go hands-on with the PS5 and it’s software demos after the presentation. Expect lots of news coverage that day
- Pre-orders for the PS5 will go up on the same day in select regions
- Sony will return to E3 for 2020 to discuss more on the PS5 and other upcoming titles
- “IT’S TIME TO PLAY.” is PlayStation’s new slogan for the PS5 and the brand as a whole
One thing is for sure, the event will take place on 5 February as it has been leaked a couple of times now by various media outlets and insiders. We will just have to wait and see how it all plans out on the day.