Returnal has won the Best Game award at the annual BAFTA Games Award showcase where it was nominated alongside Deathloop, Forza Horizon 5, Inscryption, It Takes Two, and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Returnal won the main title as well as three other awards including Audio Achievement, Music, and Performer in a Leader Role.
Returnal is a sci-fi rougelike bulletstorm third-person shooter and released to critical claim in 2021. It was also one of the first titles to release for the PS5 showing off the impressive tech in both the console and the controller, offering an interesting story and an addictive gameplay loop.
Returnal picked up the main award of the show as well as Performer in a Leader Role which went to Jane Perry for her role as Selene Vassos. Other notable awards included Best Animated and Technical Achievement which went to Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (deservedly so), Multiplayer and Original Property was awarded to It Takes Two, and finally Narrative and EE Game Of The Year (a fan vote) which was awarded to Unpacking. You can see the full list of winners below:
- Best Game – Returnal
- Animation – Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Artistic Achievement – The Artful Escape
- Audio Achievement – Returnal
- British Game – Forza Horizon 5
- Debut Game – Toem
- Evolving Game – No Man’s Sky
- Family – Chicory: A Colorful Tale
- Game Beyond Entertainment – Before Your Eyes
- Game Design – Inscryption
- Multiplayer – It Takes Two
- Music – Returnal
- Narrative – Unpacking
- Original Property – It Takes Two
- Performer in a Leading Role – Jane Perry (Returnal)
- Performer in a Supporting Role – Kimberly Brooks (Psychonauts 2)
- Technical Achievement – Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- EE Game of the Year – Unpacking
Returnal: Ascension was a recent free update that brought co-op to the title and Housemarque has possibly teased DLC for Returnal. Though, Housemarque has confirmed that their next game will not be a Returnal sequel but will instead be a fresh new IP.