Mortal Shell is described as an “authentic, and hauntingly beautiful action-RPG built upon the ruthless traditions of the souls like genre.” The game has been revealed in a stunning trailer showcasing gameplay, story, locations and the intense combat you will experience while exploring the ghastly lands. Mortal Shell is being developed by indie studio Cold Symmetry and published by Playstack.
Mortal Shell began as a game called Dungeonhaven and has been built from the ground up by 15 people with decades of skills and knowledge in the industry. It follows the story of an empty vessel that enters a shattered and twisted world where the remains of humanity wither and rot. Players are tasked at adventuring through these lands by the “Dark Father” as they unravel the mysteries hidden throughout the lands.
Scattered across these lands are the remnant anima of lost warriors who can be slain in order to gain their unique abilities and knowledge of weapons. However, they will not give this up without a fight.
- Discover “Shells” to Suit Your Playstyle – The lost remains of defeated warriors are yours to unearth. Awaken these Mortal Shells, occupy their bodies and significantly widen your understanding of different forms of combat. Inhabit a Shell that best fits your style and utilizes their own unique mastery of skills and weapon upgrades.
- Iron Sharpens Iron – Combat is strategic and deliberate. Survival demands superior awareness, precision and instincts. You must commit your sword only when an opportunity opens. Calculate your parries to unleash devastating counterblows.
- Non-linear Campaign – Draw your own path across marsh-infested lowlands, through a gargantuan cathedral of obsidian rock, and into an ancient crypt frozen into the crest of a mountain.
- Deep Upgrade Paths – The stronger your connection to each Mortal Shell grows, the better you can harness their innate talents. Craft unique upgrades, sharpen your blade with acid, and study dark arcane abilities that imbue your attacks with supernatural devastation.
- Face Haunting Foes – Your path is guarded by desperate adversaries, devoted to inscrutable gods. Behold creatures both pitiable and grotesque, but do not let fear halt your journey. Muster your courage and face them down.
Mortal Shell is scheduled for a Q3 2020 release on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Take a look at the reveal trailer down below;