A while back developer Echtra Games announced a new entry in the Torchlight series dubbed “Torchlight Frontier”. The game was originally meant to be a free-to-play title that followed in the traditional top-down gameplay from the series. The shared-world RPG was delayed from 2019 to 2020. After the sad news that the original developer, Runic Games shut its doors in 2017, there seems to be hope for the series after all as Echtra Games has announced that Frontiers is now Torchlight 3.
The announcement is more than just a name change as the developers revealed Torchlight 3 will be released as a premium title and not F2P. Users will also be able to play offline and online with one purchase too. The announcement comes from the Torchlight 3 website where the developers revealed the plans for the upcoming RPG.
Changed coming to Torchlight III
- The game now follows the classic Act structure from previous titles. Players start at the Imperial Outpost besieged by goblin hordes. They then follow the trail of nether corruption into lands overtaken by Hyvid and finally reach the [redacted] Peaks and their cavernous underplaces ruled by the electrifying [redacted]
- Horizontal progression has been removed, so all Frontier-specific levels, gear stats, and scaling has been removed as well. We are returning our progression systems to better work in tandem with this.
- Most zones are now private by default to give a better play experience. Players can still meet each other in public town levels and form parties to play together in instanced combat zones.
- When creating your character, you can now select Online or Offline Mode. Characters made in Offline Mode do not require an internet connection to play, but will also not be able to participate in multiplayer games.
- We have removed the in-game real-money store.
Torchlight III will also release on Steam sometime in 2020 which is great news given that Frontiers was technically cancelled for the development of the sequel. You can read more about the announcement on the official site.