Ubisoft has not released a new Might and Magic game in quite some time. Sure, we have had a few mobile spin-offs but the Heroes of Might and Magic series has remained mostly dormant since the last AAA release back in 2015. That is about to change as Ubisoft is now hiring staff to work on a new game.
The company has listed job openings for new staff members to join the project. The job listing specifically mentions working on a new Might and Magic AAA game.
According to the job listing, Ubisoft Shanghai is working on the project but little more is known at this time. I say it is about damn time this has happened. The series dates back to 1986 and was a staple across hardware generations. Over 10 main series entries were released across MS-DOS, Apple II, Commodore 64, PC and more.
The original series was owned by New World Computing but in 1996 the company closed down. Ubisoft then picked up the rights for the series in 2003 for $1.3 million and released multiple entries before stopping in 2015 with Might and Magic X. The company has only been focused on releasing mobile and free-to-play games such as Might and Magic Heroes: Era of Chaos and Might and Magic: Chess Royale.
Hopefully, this job listing is the start of a reboot for the series or perhaps a new main entry. I think it will be some time before Ubisoft fully announces the project. The job listing might tell you a bit more about the project. You can read the full requirements below.
Might and Magic
Ubisoft Shanghai is looking for a Senior Brand Manager to champion the brand marketing and product marketability of a new Might & Magic AAA game. Under the management of the Brand director, join an ambitious team and help reinvent one the biggest Fantasy franchise in video game history.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Define the product positioning strategy: target audiences, market mapping and audience sizing, consumer promise and key pillars.
- Ensure the product marketability from conception phase to release and live phase. Actively monitor market and entertainment trends, competition activity and provide relevant reports & analysis (competitor, risk etc.). Initiate relevant consumer research to confirm and adjust product marketability over time.
- Establish the product communication strategy (key phases, events, messages, main brand assets) and define & manage the associated brand marketing budget.
- Work with internal or external artist(s) and agencies to create the main brand assets – CGI movies, trailers, key artworks, etc. Create and share products style guides to ensure consistency in all deliveries (graphic & more)
- Instruct internal and external stakeholders on the game and the product strategy and relay back their insights and feedback to the product team.
- Represent the project and team and be key public speaker for the game towards external audiences- business partners, media, influencers, star players and communities.
- Help maximize the business potential of the product working closely with dev ops and business teams to design appealing & effective content updates, monetization offers, partnerships and merchandizing plans.
Source; Ubisoft Careers