Cyanide Studios released the first gameplay overview for the upcoming Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood and while the name is quite ridiculous, the game actually looks pretty good. Described as a “beat ’em up action RPG”, Werewolf sees players take control of different forms during gameplay. One being a human form used during social interactions, another being a wolf used for sneaking around and the last is a werewolf used for all the combat encounters.
Julien “Patch” Desourteaux, game director on Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood describes the werewolves as not your typical monsters you are used to from books and movies. Instead, in the World of Darkness, where the game is set, Werewolves are warriors and defenders of nature against the corrupting influence of the Wyrm. The Wyrm is a spirit of destruction and chaos.
In Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood players take the role of Cahal from the Ahroun tribe. Instead of seeing a werewolf as a curse in the game, it is actually the opposite and is seen as a being with great power. The three forms are described as the following;
- The Human “Homid” Form: This is the main form you will make use of for anything related to social interaction, hacking computers, and stealth kills. You can quietly get the jump on enemies, perform silent takedowns, or pick off an enemy from afar with your crossbow. With some handy upgrades, you can also use the crossbow to disable electrical systems.
- The Wolf “Lupus” Form: As a human, sometimes there are places you just can’t get into. It’s these times where you’ll be grateful for the speed and agility of the wolf. The Wolf form will help you navigate through vents and move rapidly between cover to avoid being detected by the guards. Speed and agility are the name of the game, and it’s just as valuable when you’re trying to take a stealthy approach.
- The Werewolf “Crinos” form: This is the form that everyone immediately thinks about when you hear the word “Werewolf”. These towering beasts are powerful creatures, capable of devastating acts of carnage. A Crinos is the ultimate combat machine, and if infiltration fails, it’s time to go big or go home.
Combat is the heart of Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood and the Crinos form includes two different combat stances to use including:
- In Agile Stance, you can perform fast attacks and move quickly between enemies. This comes especially handy when you need to get closer to ranged enemies, or when cornered.
- Heavy Stance sacrifices agility for better strength and resistance, but it’s a chance worth taking to quickly dispose of basic foes and break the guard of tougher enemies.
Catch up on the gameplay trailer down below. Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood releases on 4 February 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox and PC.
Editor for GLITCHED | Geek AF | Gamer | Techie | Foodie | Cars | Not a morning person | Cats Are Better Than Dogs |